Iraq (Al Iraq) is a country in the Middle east. It borders Iran in the east, Saudi Arabia in the southwest, Jordan in the west, Syria in the northwest and Turkey in the north. Iraq also lies on the Persian Gulf (Arabian Gulf). Its capital, Baghdad, lies in the centre of Iraq. Two rivers Tigris and Euphrates run through Iraq, the region between these rivers was known as Mesopotamia also referred to as humanity's cradle of civilisation, they flow into the Shatt al-Arab near the Persian Gulf. More and more tourists come to Iraq to discover a country in which the human, cultural and natural treasures will exceed all their expectations. Irag houses the world's most important prehistoric sites and archaeological remains. Countless pilgrims visit its religious shrines each year.
Hotels in Iraq
The largest towns in Iraq can offer comfortable hotels as well as a few luxury establishments. The cities that are attracting most touristst are Baghdad, Mosul, Basra (Al Basrah), Arbil (Erbil), Karbala, Najaf (An Najaf), As Sulaymaniyah, Duhok and Shaqwalah.
Najaf is an Islamic holy city and home to the shrine of Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib, the Prophet Mohammad's cousin and son-in-law and fourth caliph (656-661).
Karbala is a holy city for Iraqi Shia because it holds the shrine of the martyred Imam Husayn ibn Ali who died here in 680.
Human settlement at Erbil can be dated back to around 5000 BC. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited areas in the world.
• Ashur former capital of the Assyrian Empire and UNESCO World Heritage site.
• Babylon the ruins of ancient Babylon are still some of the most impressive in the Cradle of Civilization.
• Ctesiphon the ancient capital of the Parthian and Sassanid Empires with its magnificent ruins and the magnificent Arch of Ctesiphon.
• Seleucia the archaeological site of the ancient Hellenistic city.
• Hatra a well preserved Parthian city in the desert with the most magnificent ruins.
• Nineveh a 8,000 year old city with partially reconstructed ruins and archaeological site.
• Ur, the ruins of the ancient Sumerian city with its well known giant step pyramid, the Great Ziggurat of Ur.